Today was the shoot with Olivia. It started around 2 pm and wrapped about 4:30.
We started by lifting ourselves up into the old camp house, situated atop pillars to protect against hurricane flooding. Once in the back room that I had cleaned out the day before, we began to throw the blankets over the bed and situate the furniture in order to create a bedroom for Olivia's character. Before going to the camp house, I told her a little about the kind of energy and storyline I wanted to convey through the photos. So after we wrapped prep, she curled up in the bed, as if preparing to wake from a long sleep, and we started the shoot like a loosely-directed film. I followed her with the camera, making quiet suggestions behind the lens as she beautifully embodied the character and gave me a glimpse into her morning.
From there, smelling of clove cigarettes and a bit dusty, we climbed down onto the soft turf around the pond and explored the area nearby, snapping a few photos and enjoying the easy wardrobe changes brought on by isolation. Placing my camera snugly into the case, at the end of the shoot, I felt the familiar grip of excitement take hold of my chest, and could not wait to look over the photos.

No comments:
Post a Comment